What we do
What is “Sports Medicine?” What’s the difference between Sports Medicine and Physical Therapy? Orthopedics?
Sports Medicine is a medical specialty focused on (not just sports) injuries & ailments to the musculoskeletal system; we see them as the “quarterback” of the care team – the person that diagnoses and plans your best road to recovery, which might include Physical Therapy or Orthopedic Surgery.
- Orthopedics are trained in and focus on surgery. While SPARCC has a great relationship with Tucson’s best Orthopedic groups and will refer to them when necessary, we encourage exploration of non-operative treatment and therapy as a first option.
- Many people confuse Physical Therapy with Sports Medicine. In reality these two professions also work together to comprise a complete care team. Sports Medicine is an MD Specialty (read: 4 years Medical School, 4 years residency, and in the case of our docs, additional years of training, fellowships, and research). Physical Therapists might be considered the front-line talent: The ones working hands-on with patient until full recovery under direction of Sports Medicine Physician.
- Sports Medicine specialists are the best-bet first stop for sports and other injuries as they are best equipped to plan a patient’s care trajectories.
Sports & Musculoskeletal Injuries
Non-Operative Rehabilitation including Bracing, Orthotics, Physical Therapy, Individualized Home Therapy Programs, Advanced Imaging.
Real Time Ultrasound
SPARCC’s comprehensive musculoskeletal injury care includes real-time ultrasound with functional and dynamic studies. This highly accurate diagnostic tool means imaging and diagnosis can be completed during your visit, saving time and trips to the radiologist. Benefits of our real-time ultrasound service include:
- Reduce need for X-rays, scans, and radiation
- Real time advanced imaging modality
- Advanced imaging algorithms with fine tuning of depth, gain, and color for exceptional images
- Dynamic studies capturing muscle, tendon, ligament, and soft tissues during motion
- Doppler and functional studies to evaluate for vascular and nerve entrapment
- Pediatric focused studies evaluating growth plates without use of X-ray radiation
SPARCC offers a variety of ultrasound-guided injections to treat conditions without requiring surgery.
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
- Steroid Injections
Fracture and Musculoskeletal Care
Diagnostic evaluation for fracture with referral for proper management, if necessary, including surgical options. Post-fracture care and rehabilitation including physical therapy and injections.
Comprehensive assessment and treatment, Vestibular and Exertional Rehabilitation, Return-to-play Guidelines, Pediatric Neuropsychological Testing, School Planning and Academic Support for Students and Work Accommodations for Adults.
Comprehensive Sports Physical Exams
A thorough exam to assess your athlete’s ability to participate in sports for the upcoming season. Exams are offered by appointment on Friday afternoons at the Central clinic from July through Fall. Each exam includes:
- Vitals check
- Vision test
- Medical & musculoskeletal exam
- AIA Approved Forms Completed (athlete must bring form)
- Injury risk assessment
- Sports nutrition review
- Baseline concussion testing (ImPact neurocognitive, balance, & visual testing)*
- Cardiac ECG screen for at risk sports*
$25 for complete exam; baseline concussion and ECG testing are available for an additional $15 each. Sports exams are self-pay only and cannot be combined with insurance.
What is “Long Covid”?
Persistent symptoms for longer than four weeks (CDC).
5-10% of all Covid positive cases are considered to be long covid cases.
- Commonly seen in those with severe diseases
- Can also be seen in those with mild disease
- Used to rule out specific disease (myocarditis, pneumonia, stroke, clotting)
Most common complaints from those with long covid include:
- Cognitive fog/fatigue with MCI (mild cognitive impairment)
- Exertional intolerance, academic/work intolerance
- Cognitive testing
- Exertional testing
- Cognitive and neurological rehabilitation
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Counseling
With the pandemic surging through our communities, telemedicine has provided an essential platform to continue providing care to our patients.
SPARCC is proud to offer this service and be a participant in transforming healthcare delivery.
The meeting app Zoom helps our clinicians and other healthcare personnel provide the highest quality and cost effective solution to the recent hurdles that have been faced by all healthcare organizations.
We offer the following services via our telemedicine platform:
– Cognitive testing
– Cognitive and neurological rehabilitation
– Cognitive behavioral therapy and counseling
Comprehensive Nutrition Planning, Performance and Strength Training, Injury Prevention, Anatomical Structure Assessment and Treatment